Montreal is known for having many “greats” – great food, great art, great culture, and, of course, great craft beer. With over 30 years of experience, Montreal offers more than 40 local breweries for you to find your next favorite brew. As if we needed another reason to fall in love with Montreal…
What are the top breweries in Montreal?
The beauty of the Montreal Craft Beer scene is that many breweries are located in close proximity to each other. So there’s never been a better excuse to go for a walk, get some exercise, and perhaps make some pit stops along the way to quench your thirst. Need some inspiration? Below we’ve chosen our top 10 Montreal breweries for you to start at, where your night goes after that, well that’s up to you!
How we picked the best Montreal Breweries?
With every ‘Best Breweries’ post that we write, we make sure to do diligent online research to determine who makes it on our list. From reading online reviews and reviewing beer selections, to checking other authority websites and of course, sampling their beers. We do our best to take all the information we collect and give you our opinion of the top breweries in Montreal.
However, we know we aren’t perfect and if we’ve missed a Montreal brewery that you think should be on this list, please write a comment below and we’ll consider adding them!
THE BEST MONTREAL BREWERIES
Alright, so who made our list this year? Check it out below!
Though they don’t brew their own beer, Vices & Versa is known for showcasing tons of local brewing talent. With up to 40 beers on tap at any time, you’re sure to find something that pleases your palate. If you’re lucky enough to be visiting in the summer months, you won’t want to miss out on this brewpub’s sunny patio.
- Address: 6631, boulevard Saint-Laurent Montreal QC H2S 3C5
- Beers to try: A flight is a must here. So many choices!
This brewery is inspired by the purity and simplicity of traditional European beers, think German and Czech brews. They feature their own unique brews on tap as well as a variety of other local beers. Its massive sun-soaked patio is one of the best places to grab a pint and people watch.
- Address: 1039 Beaubien Est, Montréal, QC H2S 1T3
- Beers to try: Světlý Výčepní 10 ° Czech-inspired Blonde Lager and American IPA 04 NEIPA
Looking for the perfect place to enjoy brunch and a beer? Look no further than Réservoir Brasseur. The cosy and casual atmosphere pairs perfectly with their lineup of beers brewed in house.
- Address: 9 ave. Duluth Est, Montreal, QC H2W 1G7, Canada
- Beers to try: Cream Ale and Classic Stout
Bow down to one of Montreal’s OG’s when it comes to craft beer. Perhaps the most well know local craft beer, Dieu du Ciel has earned its place in history with their unique brew recipes, great atmosphere, and local love. You can grab their beers in-store, but if you have a chance to enjoy a beer fresh from the source, you won’t want to miss that opportunity.
- Address: 29 Avenue Laurier Ouest, Le Plateau-Mont-Royal Montréal, Québec, H2T 2N2
- Beers to try: Rosée Hibiscus Wheat Beer and Péché Mortel Stout
You won’t find any beer recipe experiments at this brewpub. Serving up classic well-made beer is La Succursale’s forte. Looking for something a bit different? Try one of their beer cocktails as you enjoy the bright and airy atmosphere at La Succursale.
- Address: 3188 Rue Masson, Montréal, QC H1Y 1Y1
- Beers to try: Ahorn Smoke Beer and Radschläger
Montreal’s grandfather of craft beer. La Cheval Blanc was the very fist brewpub in Montreal, opening in 1987. Since then, it’s become a cornerstone of Montreal’s craft beer scene offering a well-curated lineup of beers in a 1950’s inspired atmosphere.
- Address: 809 Ontario St E, Montreal, Quebec H2L 1P1
- Beers to try: Blanc Blanche Witbier and IPA Brut
Pit Caribou is known for it’s Gaspé flair. What does that mean you ask? Their beer is brewed in L’Anse-à-Beaufils which is a fishing village on the Gaspé Peninsula. It’s known for its authentic and refreshing vibes, which is what Pit Caribou and their beers bring to the table.
- Address: 951 Rue Rachel Est, Montreal, QC H2J 2J4
- Beers to try: La Bonne Aventure Amber Ale and Cheminée Des Fées Imperial Porter
Come for the beer, stay for the fun. That’s what Brutopia is all about. Boasting 3 floors featuring 3 different bars and 3 terraces with a seemingly endless list of beers on tap, is already an impressive offering. Pair it with the longest-running open mike night in Montreal, you have a recipe for a great time.
- Address: 1215 rue Crescent, Montreal, QC H3G 2B1
- Beers to try: As Far as Man Goes Mango Milkshake IPA and Speculoos Pumpkin Ale
Ever heard of a Beer Collective? Sounds cool, right? Well, it is! At MaBrasserie, you can sample not only their own beers but also those of the other members of the Collective: Isle de Garde, La Succursale, Broue Pub Brouhaha, and Noire et Blanche. So it’s basically come for one and experience all 5! Pretty good deal, hey? With over 32 taps to try, better make sure you don’t have anywhere else to go after visiting here.
- Address: 2300 rue Holt, Montreal, QC H2G 1Y4
- Beers to try: Tribale Session IPA and Scarabée American Amber Ale
This self-proclaimed “beer temple” is a member of the Montreal Beer Collective alongside Isle de Garde, La Succursale, MaBrasserie, and Noire et Blanche. If you’re looking for a no-frills bar to enjoy the perfect Montreal pint, look no further than Broue Pub Brouhaha.
- Address: 5860 ave. de Lorimier, Montreal, QC H2G 2N9
- Beers to try: Blanche Soleil Belgian Wit and Coup De Soleil Fruit Beer
Montreal has so many great breweries we had a hard time choosing our top 10.
If we’ve missed any of your favourite Montreal breweries and you think they should be added to the list, share it with us in the comments below!