English-Style Pale Ale (ESB) Beer
English-style pale ales are one of the most popular styles of beer available. They are characterized by their light colour and bodies, moderate carbonation levels, and English hops that give them a unique flavour. ESB stands for “extra special bitter”.
While there are many different brands and varieties of English-style pale ale available, they all share these key characteristics. So whether you’re looking for something new to try or just want to enjoy a classic beer style, English-style pale ale is a great choice.
English-Style Pale Ale (ESB) Details
- Color: 5-16 SRM
- Bitterness: 20-40 IBU
- Alcohol: 4.5-5.5% ABV
- Glass: Nonic Pint
- Temperature: 10-12°C
- Color: Gold to Copper
- Clarity: Clear to Brilliant
- Hop: Medium to medium-high
- Malt: Residual malt and defining sweetness is medium to medium-high
English-Style Pale Ale (ESB) Pairings
- Food Pairing: Game Meats (Venison, Duck, or Quail)
- Cheese Pairing: Gouda, Havarti, Swiss
- Dessert Pairing: Sticky Toffee Pudding
Looking for a brewery near you? Check out our brewery near me tool and discover thousands of local breweries!